Electrical wiring is not a job that should be done on your own. It isn’t a secret that electricity is dangerous and can injure or kill you. With that said, allowing the experienced technicians at Dan Wood Company to wire your home can save you time, money, and possible electric shock. We’ve been in this line of work for many years and can definitely say it is better to let the professionals do their job than to attempt it yourself and end up in the hospital.
Keep your wiring repair services affordable with our coupons and specials.
The Dangers of DIY Electrical Wiring
The dangers of a novice wiring their home for anything can have serious consequences. Clearly, there is the electrocution factor, but there are several other problems that can arise in doing these projects yourself. Take these into consideration before deciding to wire anything in your home:
- Fire- overloaded circuits, faulty connections, and the incorrect wire gauge are only three potential causes of fire
- Code violations- professional electricians are aware of local codes and ordinances in order to keep your home in compliance. If your DIY wiring job is not within code, you may face complications when you sell your home
- Permits- significant electrical wiring projects typically require building permits from the city. Knowing the difference between minor and major may be what keeps you from paying large fines
- Repairs- you may have survived the initial wiring project, but if it was done incorrectly, you will have to hire a professional to correct it
- Arcing and overheating- electricity is a funny thing and if the wires aren’t tight enough, there could be issues with arching and overheating which can lead to other, more expensive repairs
When to Rewire Your Home
If you live in an older home, there is a chance you will need to have it rewired at some point. When it comes to rewiring, of course we recommend hiring a professional, but it is also important to not put the project off. Waiting too long to rewire an older home could put you at risk for electrical fire or damaging electronics. Here are the top signs it is time to rewire your home:
- Frequently blowing fuses or tripping breakers
- Dimming or flickering lights
- Hot or discolored switchplates, cords, or plugs
- Frequently replacing burnt light bulbs
- Sizzling or buzzing sounds
- Burnt smells
- Arcs or sparks when plugging or unplugging a cord
- Electric shock when plugging or unplugging cords
Don’t Risk It, Call a Professional
Dealing with electricity can put you AND your family at risk. It can be shocking how often people make the mistake of attempting electrical projects and home rewiring without the proper knowledge. Don’t risk a house fire, or worse, electrocution by trying to save a few dollars. Let the professionals at Dan Wood Company be the ones you call for all electrical needs!
Also, be sure to visit our reviews page to see what some of your neighbors are saying about our work.