When you choose a contractor to work on your home or the appliances that belong to you, pick carefully. It is important that you feel comfortable with any technician that is sent for repairs and that you know you’re getting charged an honest price. People have been choosing Dan Wood Company for many years, not just because of the longevity of the company but for our honest practices and skilled technicians. When you need heat pump services, make Dan Wood Company your choice!
Save on all your heat pump needs with our coupons and specials.
Differences Between Heat Pumps and Furnaces
If you have a heat pump or a furnace, chances are you know there are a few differences between the two. There is also a possibility that you know each unit produces heat. While this is true, there are a few other notable distinctions:
- Heat pumps can source the heat they supply from either the ground or the air, while furnaces create warmth by burning off natural gas
- Heat pumps can be used year-round to both warm and cool a home. Furnaces can heat the home but cannot cool it
- Furnaces are less efficient because they ‘create’ heat, while heat pumps transfer heat from air outside to the air inside
- Heat pumps may need a supplemental source of heat when the temperatures dip below freezing whereas furnaces will not need additional help
When to Replace a Heat Pump
Unfortunately, every major appliance has to be replaced from time to time. Proper maintenance once per year can help lengthen the life of your heat pump, but cannot guarantee it. Here are a few guidelines for knowing when it is time to replace your heat pump with a new one:
- Constant repairs- spending money on repairs and the inconvenience of a broken down heat pump could be your first indicator it is time for a new one. Over time, several expensive repairs can easily cost the same as a whole new unit
- Rising energy bills- although your heat pump draws heat from air or water, it still uses electricity to run. If you’re noticing your electric bill is consistently rising, energy is being lost somewhere. There is a good chance that your current system is the cause of your increased bills
- Inconsistent temperatures- no matter if you’re using a heat pump to warm or cool your home, the temperatures throughout the home should be relatively consistent if there is no zone control. Having one room that is freezing and the next that is sweltering hot could indicate the end of a heat pump’s life
- Age- heat pumps, like air conditioners, generally last about 10-15 years. When your equipment is around that age, it may be time to consider its replacement, even if it seems to be running fine. This is because at that age, you’re gambling on the unit making it through the season and the fact that newer models offer better efficiency
The Best Choice for Your Home
We can’t guide you to the best heating appliance until we see your home, learn the square footage, and understand your heating needs. However, we can tell you that the best choice for your home is a simple call to Dan Wood Company when you’re ready for maintenance or to upgrade your heat pump.
Visit our reviews page to find out what our past customers have to say about our services.