Clean water is one of the few things we, as humans, cannot live without. Do not let anyone fool you, well water is just as safe as city water, as long as precautions are taken. Dan Wood Company is familiar with well water services and knows how to keep you and your family safe from any contaminants that may find their way into your supply.
Save on well chlorination services with our coupons.
Why and When to Chlorinate a Well
You should have your water well tested every three to five years for contaminants and bacteria. If bacteria is found, choosing to chlorinate may eliminate the problem. It also is wise to consider chlorination after a flood, a period of heavy rain, or when construction is finished if it is near the well. This process will also help rid the well of iron bacteria and hydrogen sulfide which can give the water a rotten egg smell or taste.
It is important to remember that you will not be able to use the water for bathing, laundry, or drinking for at least 24 hours, so be sure that you have clothes and drinking water on hand. It is possible to not have useable water for longer than 24 hours, so it may be wise to have a friend or neighbor’s shower on standby.
The Well Chlorination Process
The process of well chlorination can be a lengthy one. It is absolutely possible to perform this task yourself, however, because you are dealing with large amounts of chlorine and your family’s water supply, it is far better to allow a trusted professional to complete this work. The basic steps are as followed:
- Open the well and pour the predetermined amount of chlorine in while attempting to coat the walls of the well
- Connect a hose to an outside faucet and place over the top of the well, turning the water pressure all the way on
- Run the water until you can detect chlorine coming from your faucets, which may take 30 minutes to a few hours
- Special considerations must be made for homes that use an electric water heater by turning on a few of the hot water faucets
- Ensure all appliances, faucets, and showerheads are disinfected as well by running them on a lukewarm setting for 10-15 minutes
- Flush the well--this can be the tricky part, as knowing when chlorine levels are safe as well as directing chlorinated water to an area that will not harm animals, waterways, or groundwater can be difficult
This is just a quick overview of how to chlorinate a well--please opt for a professional to ensure everyone’s safety!
Professional Well Chlorination Services
Choosing to have your water well professionally chlorinated can take the guesswork out of the process. It can also help it move along smoothly and without any major issues. On top of these benefits, Dan Wood Company will test your water to ensure it is safe to drink after the well has been flushed. Allow us to ensure the safety of your drinking water through well chlorination!
Still on the fence? Feel free to visit our reviews page to see what our happy customers are saying about our work.